Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







17 April 2010

Wolves Lose Again


I'm typically not one to raise a stink politically, but enough is enough.You know, I was personally quite bummed out this fall when Dr Gordon Haber perished in a small plane crash inside Denali Park observing wolves. It was something he had made a career out of, and those who knew him best said it was almost an obsession, leaving him apparently unable to meet some of lifes daily chores. Gordon studied the wolves of the Denali area for over 25 years, and had a love and respect for them that few will ever duplicate or understand. I tip my hat and my wine to you Gordon: I predicted ( in my household) that his death heralded the loss of protection for these majestic, intelligent animals....turns out I was right; that sure didn't take long. The Alaska Game Board just removed the buffer for protection of  wolves in the NE corner of the park, putting the wolves back in jeopardy. Its estimated that 4 trappers will benefit from this action, which could result in the loss of 22,000 wolf sightings for tourists who dare to invade our parkland every year. I'm not sure how many hunters will benefit from this, I'm sure that these far-flung packs are just devastating caribou and moose populations in the remote Lake Minchumina district.
The Fortymile pack near Tok is under attack as well. Lack of snow has made it difficult for aerial hunters to target the projected killing of 200 ( out of an estimated 300) wolves in the area. Thank god for helicopters! They finally figured out a way to track them without adequate snow cover. Awesome!! Smoke a pack a day!
It amazes me that I live in, love , and continue to tolerate this STATE OF REDNECKS.  May this wolf print that I photographed on the Upper Savage River in March be the last print ever seen by man. Run and hide, friends. Interested in Gordon's work?

No comments:

Post a Comment