Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







20 January 2010

Winter Expedition Footwear

  Proper and comfortable footwear on any winter outing is important, but on a completely self-sufficient expedition it becomes critical.
   Down booties are warm and lightweight. You can bump up the insulation factor significantly by adding a Bama Sockette, made by XtraTuf. Guaranteed to keep you warm and dry, I use the Bama  as a sleeper with my Smartwool socks and liners. Lets face it, cold feet are not only uncomfortable but downright dangerous.

   Ski boots are everyday wear because we will be traveling exclusively through a non-mechanized wilderness area. I choose Salomon boots because they are incredibly comfortable and I will be living in them.
    Outdoor Research makes the Brooks ranger overboot for mountain climbers but I have customized mine for skiing. I simply cut the bottom of the toe out which exposes the boots' lock bar. This allows me to easily pull these overboots on and lock into my skis. They serve double duty now as a deep snow gaiter and insulator. They fold down into a small ball and weigh next to nothing, too.



Finally, I haul a pair of Neos Navigators. They are also light weight, and while you cannot ski in them they are invaluable when coupled with your down booties in camp. They are also a practical walking boot coupled with your ski boot and can easily be used when the skis come off and the snowshoes are put on. They have a built-in gaiter and an aggressive Vibram sole.  I have been quite comfortable in Smartwool socks and liners, Bama socks, down booties and Neos at -30 F. Layering and versatility are key in your footwear. Plan and pack accordingly. I could feasibly wear Smartwool socks, ski boots, and Brooks Ranger overboots all nested into my Neos. The idea is to keep your feet warm under every conceivable condition, and I will succeed with this winning combo.

2 comments:

  1. Your down booties sound so comfortable! I'm impressed with the level of gear for warm feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way to go. The Neo overshoes are the bomb.

    ReplyDelete