Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







25 January 2010

The Big Backpack

I have a number of backpacks, each one is a different size for a different adventure. When it comes to backcountry winter tripping I break out the biggest one I own; its a Kelty RedCloud 6500. It has a removable lid on it that comes off for use as a daypack. I take it off alright, but I don't put it back on: underneath this lid is an expandable collar that allows me to easily reach in and pull out my down jacket or wind shell without messing with clips or zippers. It gives me instant access to the large storage area and what I deem to be the pertinent equipment inside it. I also attch a 25 foot coil of rope to the underside of it; rope is a mandatory piece of equipment--it can hang your dehydrated food, allow you the freedom of crossing a frozen river on recon and then dragging your kit across behing you, and it can be knotted and trailed along behind you under your pulk to act as a brake when descending steep mountain passes. You can also use it on steep sections for belaying your sled down in front of you ; you'll be thankful for your snowshoes if you find yourself in a scenario like this. Carry a section of rope on wilderness trips--I guarantee you will use it--rope is your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment