Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







27 January 2010

Miscellaneous Additions

I have added some miscellaneous items to my kit. I have my dry beverage pack which will house an entire days supply of tea, hot cocoa mix, Emergen-C vitamin powder, Kool-Aid, and sugar/dry milk mix. A mixing spoon is attached by a lanyard, and this bag will eliminate the need to break out bulk items for hot drinks on the trail.     I am also packing a dozen Hand Warmers as a backup to my heating system for keeping camera batteries warm . Keep in mind that the warmer they are when you open them the better their performance will be. I also have two drinking nalgenes and their arctic covers. I have taken old wool socks and cut additional covers for them; this will act as an extra insulator but will be even more useful in the evenings when I fill a nalgene with hot beverage and put it in my bag ( along with myself). The sock will keep the nalgene from burning me. Its a good idea to carry your nalgenes upside down. Ice will form on the upper end exposed to oxygen first, and your lid will not be frozen shut.  I also placed my simple mess kit into the stove bag: I have a 2 quart thermos, a lexan mug, fork, and spoon, and an insulated tea mug. Thats all I'll need. As I mentioned earlier, the thermos will be filled with boiling water every morning before making trail. Hot drinks of our choice will then be available at any time by accessing the thermos. Last, but not least, is a pee jug. Thats right, I will urinate into my color coded nalgene rather than exit the tent in the middle of the night. I have two  wraps of colored tape for identification purposes, and multiple wraps of Gorilla Tape for general purpose. You may think that peeing into a bottle inside your tent at night is an offensive and disgusting idea, but after one night of serious winter camping you would be a dedicated convert--especially after going to bed with a separate hot nalgene full of tea. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment