Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







22 January 2010

The Repair Kit



Another critical item that you hope you won't need (like your First Aid Kit), is a good repair kit. Outfit it any way you choose. Mine contains a Leatherman multi-tool, 15 feet of stout cord, 50 feet of light line, pre-cut sections of baling wire, two sizes of zipties (10 each), a complete thermarest patch kit, and a sewing kit consisting of 3 needles (taped into the top of a tiny Altoids tin), a spool of thread, a spool of 30 pound test fishing line, and a tent patch. I also stashed a lighter in there: it has a small lanyard on it that is lashed down with electrical tape. The electrical tape makes a great hem for stitching tents--it keeps the stitches from tearing out.
Post Script: I just added screws, mollies, and epoxy supplied from my ski dealer in case I have binding issues. He also gave me a quick tutorial on field repairs. Thanks Homer Saw and Cycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment