Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







22 January 2010

The Sleeping Kit



The Sleeping Kit.....Ok, thats a one piece capilene union suit that my wonderful wife bought me for xmas, and I'm gonna sleep in it for at least 11 nights (if all goes well) , and possibly longer( lets not be morbid).  In order to feel somewhat fresh in the evening I have placed a set of longjohns in the kit to wear underneath the union suit. When I deem them no longer worthy of night sleeping I will rotate them to trail clothes and move the next set of clean longjohns into the bag.Every piece of clothing I am hauling is synthetic: don't be foolish and use cotton as an insulating layer or everyday wear in cold weather when you are perspiring: The Grim Reaper will be waiting for you at the next stop.
Included in the kit are toothbrush, paste (airport sized), mountain money (you flatlanders call it toilet paper), a small bottle of Purell hand sanitizer, and frozen ones.
What are frozen ones? Simple; they are baby wipes, aka "wet ones" subjected to arctic blasts of subzero. I  haul 5  individual packages of saran-wrapped frozen ones in sets of 4 per package in a ziplock, one set thawed as necessary and ready to roll  for my toilette and wipe down.
The Sleeping Kit mesh bag serves double duty; it stores clean sleeping clothes and hygienic items while on the trail, and when camp is made and you are ready to change out of your trail gear into your evening attire you simply rotate your capilene  into the bag and spike it into the tundra: this will definitely keep every wilderness-hardened, rotten-mouthed, carrion-munching canyon critter in the entire territory away ( come to think of it, maybe it will draw them in!). It also preps your morning for that oh-so-fresh flash-frozen feeling: shake off the trail clothes and put them back on! No need to be a heathen, I turn my capilene inside out every other day for that just washed scent.You're ready to make tracks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment