Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







21 January 2010

Outer Layers

The outer layer that I will wear every single day, under a heavier shell or down jacket, will be my Grundens Storm Shell SoftJak. It has a Deluge Waterproof Resistant finish and is 100% windproof. It has 4 way stretch, is lightweight, breathable, and comfortably soft. It's a great outer layer that can still be added upon and retain usefulness under varying conditions.

   For pants I will be bringing a Mountain Hardwear Conduit shell and also a pair of Gale Force waterproof and windproof fleece pants. The Gale Force pants are made locally here in Homer by NOMAR and are great trail gear. They're way too warm for around the house or town wear.
     For upper body shells I am torn between my garish Patagonia shell and my North Face GoreTex shell. Both are sufficient in wind and snow, but the North Face shell is more stout; they both claim to be breathable but I've never seen lungs on any of my gear. I will only be bringing one of them, and right now the jury is out. Well......fashion aside, I think the North Face will prevail.....
Post Script: decided to leave the Gale Force fleece pants at home and just run with the shells and capilene. If I get cold, I always have my insulated Chugach Pants. And the tried and true North Face jacket is coming, Patagonia stays at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment