Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







21 January 2010

Dinner and Cocktails

 Dinner arrived in the mail today; 14 Mountain House dehydrated meals.  They come in lots of different flavors, some better than others, so if you've never eaten them before try some out before committing. I only have 4 flavors here, as the idea of eating Chili Mac disgusts me. Note the jar of cracked red pepper.....worth its weight in gold if you are a spicehead like me. The meals come in different serving sizes as well, and I exclusively buy the "2 entree serving size". And no, I won't be sharing it with anyone; its a one man meal, trust me.
    On top are the cocktails: 5 pounds of cocoa mix, a bag of Emergencies, 2 pounds of sugar and dry milk pre-mixed at home, and lots of tea: black tea for the morning, decaf black tea and decaf flavored tea for evenings. I like to put a decaf tea into a Nalgene in the evening and launch it into my sleeping bag in a cover and hug it for about an hour.  Also, beverage material is carried in a dedicated bag on the trail:  this facilitates the use of your 2 quart thermos that you filled with boiling water in the morning before you left camp! You can carry the bulk of your cocoa and sugar-dry milk mix (I call it "silk")  in an inaccessible part of the sled  but a daily supply should be ziplocked and carried at-the-ready. Drill a hole in a large plastic spoon and attach it to the cocktail bag with a lanyard. Remember, everything takes 5 times longer to accomplish in the cold. Make it as easy as you can on yourself before stepping off.

No comments:

Post a Comment