Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







20 January 2010

Transportation

   Skis and snowshoes are the only form of locomotion we intend to use. I have a decent pair of Karhu backcountry skis with metal edges, and a pair of bombproof Tubbs snowshoes. The skis have a herring bone layout on the bottom to prevent slippage but climbing skins are an absloutely essential item to bring too. The weight of a towed pulk combined with a moderate grade will be enough to keep you from making forward progress without skins. Inspect the bindings thoroughly and make sure that everything is holding fast; my local dealer supplied me with screws and mollies just in case and also recommended that I haul  epoxy in case the screws blow out and I need a filler. These items were placed into my repair kit.
    Some people feel that bringing snowshoes is an unnecessary addition of gear and weight...I say don't leave home without them. If you encounter particularly brutal trail conditions or have an exceptionally challenging ascent they will be invaluable, especially when hauling a loaded pulk. Break a ski without the proper fix and you're literally a dead man without a backup.
    The poles are an old military pair that have oversized baskets and ergonomic-friendly hand loops made from old ice ax harnesses. The baskets are wired on for additional security and the poles are totally unbreakable, which eliminates the need for an extra in case of damage. I also guaged where my hands will be gripping when I am low on the poles and taped some old ensolite padding there to give me additional support during long climbs.

2 comments:

  1. I remember breaking a pole up there and thinking that we were screwed! Somehow we managed to "McGiver" it back together and on we went. Do you remember? That's why the call for a back-up pole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet I remember--you broke your telescopic pole on day one on the ascent to Jenny Creek.....thats why I customized those bombproof military poles for this trip! No need for a backup now.
    I also remember making an immediate list upon our return on ways to improve our gear and performance.

    ReplyDelete