Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







30 January 2010

Coping with the Cold

I'm not going to spend an extremely long amount of time on this subject ( I very easily could) , but I will tell you that everyone deals with the cold differently. Some people get cold hands, some cold feet (that would be me), some cold cores, and some don't get cold at all. If you are new to cold weather camping, or just looking for a refresher course, I suggest you do some internet research or buy a comprehensive book. This book is one that I keep as reference in my library, and I reread it recently in anticipation of this trip. All the modern gear in the universe can't help you in a cold weather scenario unless you spend some time in the outdoors and find out how your body copes with the cold. Hypothermia can strike quickly,  and frostbite can be almost instant in certain weather conditions. You need to know how to recognize, treat, and avoid these dangerous scenarios.  I will share some tips: when traveling use the buddy system; my partner Jeremy and I will be keeping a close eye on each other. Shivering indicates the onset of mild hypothermia, and must be treated immediately in a wilderness situation before it is allowed to escalate into moderate symptoms. If  I become irritable, complacent, or start slurring my speech I am showing signs of mild to moderate hypothermia and it also needs to be addressed immediately. If Jeremy has white blotches on his cheeks and nose he is being frostbitten, and this also needs immediate attention.  The very best way to deal with these issues, and others, is avoidance through experience and knowledge. Hydrate often and regularly; observe the color of your urine--it is an excellent indicator of dehydration. Dress for the conditions. Eat regularly--keep the fire burning inside you.  An old military acronym we used was COLD: keep it Clean, don't Overheat, dress in Layers, keep it Dry. The cold is no joke, learn how your body deals with it and practice in it before you fling yourself into a scenario that leads from fun to fatal. Every great warrior has a chink in his armor, find out where yours is before you go into battle. And go into battle hydrated: dehydration is an insidious contributor to cold weather injuries.

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I have always had the inner thermostat of a polar bear but it's weird because ever since my surgery in Sept., I can't handle to cold like I used to. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stove are you using? Did I miss that in your blog?

    ReplyDelete