Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







30 March 2010

Lenticular Night

Night-time. I still love the night, and I awoke at 3 am on a full moon to take some pictures of our campground at the confluence of the Savage and Jenny.  Check out the lenticular clouds in the background; they are indicative of high winds aloft. We weren't really harassed by wind during our trip, though  a few days after our departure they did kick up to 55mph in the mountain passes. That would not be pretty in freezing temperatures; it would more accurately be a dangerous scenario at best. Anyway, it was still and beautiful the night I took these pictures and I really wanted to strap on the skis and take a long jaunt. I didn't because I thought it dangerous to travel around at night on a frozen river alone.
     There was one point during the night that an extremely noisome and furious wind passed OVER the tent without touching it. I felt as if I had just eluded the Nazgul.

No comments:

Post a Comment