Half of my life is spent at 59 degrees North latitude on the shores of Alaska's Kachemak Bay. The other half is spent at 70 degrees North latitude on the Central Beaufort Sea Coast. Lots happens in between, too, in this land known as The Last Frontier.







06 March 2010

9 Mile Drainage

We made camp that evening at the 9 Mile Drainage on the park road. I had definitely been on autopilot the entire day; it was cold, windy, and my enjoyment level was low. We worked as quickly as possible to stomp out a landing zone for our tent, brew water, and get into our bags. At some point I took off my sweat soaked clothes and put dry warm capilene and down on. After eating and drinking we climbed into the tent. That's when I started to shake. I would say that I was shivering, but I wasn't; I was shaking uncontrollably throughout my entire body. Even my legs were getting into the act with convulsions. This was not good.
    I do very well in the cold, so for me to be laying in dry clothes in an extremely warm bag in -20 temps shaking like a leaf in the wind was scary. Jeremy kept a close eye on me, and I rolled out of my bag and donned my down jacket. I then grabbed my nalgene with boiling water in it and tucked it into my jacket. Its warmth was unbelieveable and I forced myself to relax my body. This seemed to work--I had to calm down and force myself to stop shaking. Sleep came soon afterwards, though I do remember waking up a few times that night in a sweat and being chilled. Morning came and we proceeded to break camp: more boiling water, eating, drinking, filling our thermos.....it took two hours, as anticipated. I was weak, sick, but warm. It was time to make a move further into the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment